Thursday, May 31, 2007

Flavor of Life by Utada Hikaru



This song was first introduced 2 me by YY. Not bad, fall in love with it @ 2nd listen. Found some romanji translation on the web by some jap expert(I learn jap for so long and still dun understand a word. No wonder the name of the course is call "beginner course"). Yah! Now I can sing a long with Utada!

宇多田ヒカル - Flavor Of Life –ballad version-

※ありがとう、と君に言われると
"arigatou" to kimi ni iwareru to
なんだかせつない
nanda ka setsunai
さようならの後も解けぬ魔法
"sayounara" no ato mo tokenu mahou
淡くほろ苦い
awakaku horonigai
The flavor of life

友達でも恋人でもない中間地点で
tomodachi demo koibito demo nai chuukan chiten de
収穫の日を夢見てる 青いフルーツ
shuukaku no hi wo yumemiteru aoi furuutsu

あと一歩が踏み出せないせいで
ato ippou ga fumidasenai sei de
じれったいのなんのってbaby
jirettai no nannotte baby

※Repeat

甘いだけの誘い文句
amai dake no sasoi monku
味っけの無いトーク
ajikke no nai tooku
そんなものには興味をそそられない
sonna mono ni wa kyoumi wo sosorarenai

思い通りにいかない時だって
omoidoori ni ikanai toki datte
人生捨てたもんじゃないって
jinsei suteta mon ja naitte

どうしたの?と急に聞かれると
"doushita no?" to kyuu ni kikareru to
ううん、なんでもない
"uun, nandemo nai"
さようならの後に消える笑顔
sayounara no ato ni kieru egao
私らしくない
watashi rashikunai

信じたいと願えば願うほど
shinjitai to negaeba negau hodo
なんだかせつない
nandaka setsunai
「愛してるよ」よりも「大好き」の方が
"aishiteru yo" yori mo "daisuki" no hou ga
君らしいんじゃない?
kimi rashiinja nai
The flavor of life

忘れかけていた人の香りを 突然思い出す頃
wasurekaketeita hito no kaori wo totsuzen omoidasu koro
降りつもる雪の白さをもっと 素直に喜びたいよ
furitsumoru yuki no shirosa wo motto sunao ni yorokobitai yo

ダイアモンドよりもやわらかくて
daiamondo yori mo yawarakakute
あたたかな未来 手にしたいよ
atataka na mirai te ni shitai yo
限りある時間を 君と過ごしたい
kagiri aru jikan wo kimi to sugoshitai

※Repeat


The Flavor of Life

*Somehow, it's painful when you say "thank you" to me,
The lingering magic after "goodbye" is bittersweet
The flavor of life, the flavor of life

We are green fruits dreaming of harvest day
Somewhere in the middle point between friends and lovers

All because I can't take just one step forward
What's vexing me so, baby

*Repeat

Saccharine sweet words of enticement, bland talk
Those things don't pique my interest at all

When things don't go as planned
Life isn't something thrown away

When I'm suddenly asked, "What's wrong?" (I reply) "Nothing."
(Now that) my smile has disappeared after "Goodbye", this isn't like me (at all)

Somehow, the more I pray that I can believe, the more painful it is
Isn't it more like you to say "I like you" than "I love you"(2)?
The flavor of life

When one suddenly remembers the fragrance of someone just forgotten
I want to honestly be able to enjoy more the whiteness of snow piled thickly

Softer than a diamond and warm is the future
(Which) I want to hold in my hand
I want to spend my limited time with you

*Repeat


(2) Cultural note: Crash course on the difference between 恋"koi" 愛"ai" and 好き/好む"suki/konomu". Koi is only used for romantic love aka eros; if someone says that they 'koi suru" you then that means they really really would eat a barrel of liver and onions love you. Ai is less romance-only oriented but still is more romance oriented than 'suki.' Someone mentioned the difference between koi and ai is that koi is focused on one specific person whereas ai is a 'wider' sense of the term 'love.' Whatever, if someone 'ai suru's you then it still means they're pretty serious. "Suki" is most often translated as "like" however I'm not to pleased with that translation because 'suki' is used a lot to convey what we would call love. The difference between "ai' and "suki" is that "ai" connotes "let's get married and have 2.5 children" whereas 'suki' is more like "let's date until we get bored/find someone better" aka less hot and passionate. However, you'd look like a fool if you asked someone out by saying "Aishiteru, please date me" so in this case "suki da yo, let's date" is more appropriate even if you really, really, really like them. Therefore; this line means she's pissed off that he keeps on saying an ambiguous affectionate phrase.


I copy entirely from her post in her own blog. I wonder if I will be caught for plagiarism?

No comments: